Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Where were were 11/11/15

So before I begin this week in review, I wanted to do a follow up on Sunday's Crock Pot - it turned out well. I did end up adding extra garlic and a few other spices because I was afraid it would taste a bit bland, and the end result was very good. Naturally, my daughter was disappointed in it's lack of Disney appearance (told you she would expect to see the mouse himself...) I did try to appease her by serving it in her beloved Minnie bowl, which I think saved me this time. Next time I make it, she will be expecting the stew in the mouse... and now, for our regularly scheduled program:

WRITERLY Things:

  • NaNoWriMo 2015 is still happening, but this novel is behaving differently then the others - but if I think about it, each year was some how different.
  • Two years ago DEMANDED to be written grabbing huge hours of my time where I just pounded keys and the words flowed
  • Last year, the characters wouldn't shut up and while I anticipated 60K, they weren't done until closer to 82K - and I'll be the first to admit that the ending is sub-par and major revisions will be needed when I return to that story.
  • This year, however, wants to be written, but it isn't in a great hurry, which sort of bothers me. The characters are there, but they aren't demanding my time like the others, and the story is happy to give me small chunks each night, which honestly works better as a form, but because I'm used to the crazy write until I can't see approach, this calmer approach feels awkward. BUt I tell my students that they have to let the story speak, and listen to what it wants to do - and I like to follow my own example, so I am cranking less then 2K a night - some days I'll have a little rush and hit over 4K, but that's about it. I am ahead of the curve having broken 20K last night, but I was hoping to be further along in the story - 
    • I know what's happening - the plot is there - but its just taking it's time.
    • Another learning experience - which may make this first draft more user friendly for edits. Where as the others sort of threw themselves at me, this one is being a little more meticulous with pace and content...something to ponder as I move forward.

PUBLISHINGLY Things:

  • One month from today ETCHED will be on the shelves - GAH! That's crazy! Are you ready? I'm not!
  • The Goodreads giveaway ended last night, and I was so honored to see 879 people signed up for my giveaway. 
  • The business card debacle has been fixed, and I am working at slowly disbursing them in society... 

READERLY Things:

  • I am still working on the same books as last week, as I expected given that NaNo takes up so much of my time this month... 

OTHERLY Things:

  • Tomorrow I leave for the PASC State Conference with a great group of student leaders - some of whom have not gone before and others who this will be their last trip to the state conference before graduation, so this past week has been busy planning and preparing not only for the trip, but also to take care of everything that needs to happen in my absence...

And for now, I think that's all. I still have to pack, and clean, and NaNo before the night is up... and maybe get a workout in... and then there sleep..... ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment