Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Where were we....

So here's my attempt to be more consistent with blogging and communication in general...

All things WRITERLY:

  • Nano is in full swing, and yet again, this year is different. I really like the general premise for this year's stab at 50K, but my characters are not being as cooperative as usual. They're there - but they aren't as loud and ready to feed me information as they usually are. Usually, I just have to sit back and keep up. This year, its really like pulling teeth, but I think I've made a bit of progress on that front. I actually printed out a calendar for the month of July - (when my story takes place) and mapped my characters movements during that month. See, the story is really based on travel and near misses so I needed to make sure I knew where they were going. I'm hoping now that I have a timeline, they will be a little more willing to cooperate.... We'll see how that goes.
  • I am also hoping (hahaha) to continue working edits for STATIC, which I'd LOVE to start querying after the new year... if its' ready. I know it needs a major rewrite in the beginning, but I'm hoping the rest isn't too messy. Time will tell!

All things PUBLISHINGLY:

  • Just over a month from launch for ETCHED - eep! I have I mentioned EEEEPP!! 
    • I'm sort of enjoying watching the giveaway on Goodreads. I think I feared that no one would want a copy of my book - so to see the number slowly climbing is exciting.
  • And I'm navigating the new author waters, and have found and rammed into my first moment of live and learn... first of many, I'm sure. And while this one isn't major, it's annoying and will one day be laughable.
  • So I pondered the idea of what to do for marketing with giveaway and other paraphernalia, and after tossing around the idea of stickers and totes, decided cute little business cards with the cover of the book and a cool tag line on the front and all relevant launch info on the back would make a lot of sense. Pass them out - they get stuck in a wallet or pocket and hopefully end up in front of a computer and not in the washer... And they came in the mail today - like a kid in a candy store - until I opened the packaging.
    • They look GREAT - until you turn them over... and then they still look great. BUT (yes, there's a catch) apparently they don't flip the way you would expect a card to flip - like a book - they flip on the short end. Like I said, more annoying then disastrous, but I've learned a lesson - make sure it's EXACTLY as it should be. I did proof it, and it looked great, but I didn't pay attention to the layout of front and back

All things READERLY:

  • I'd love to say I'm being really dedicated to my reading, but I'm not.
  • I've been working on GIRL ON A TRAIN for several days, and enjoying it, but there so much else going on I can't really focus on reading - sad commentary on my November


ALL things OTHERLY:

  • Anything else happening? Yup - but it can wait for another time - because I need more of it, and I have a book that needs my attention - after I put the little one to sleep. 
So until later -

No comments:

Post a Comment